- This event has passed.
Education Jurisdiction Summit
February 22, 2023 @ 1:00 pm – February 23, 2023 @ 10:00 pm
Our First Nations agree that we need to move towards healing and empowerment in education. Education Jurisdiction will recognize First Nations’ self-governance over education based on Indigenous peoples’ inherent right to self-determination given by the Creator.
Please join us February 22nd to the 23rd to look to next steps for the Education Jurisdiction process, learn from other groups across Canada.
Updates on the NAN-Canada Education Reset Table
Best Practices Panel Discussion with special guests:
- Dr. Brian Wildcat, Former Superintendent of Maskwacîs Education Schools Commission (MESC) &
- Davin Dumas, Director of Language and Culture of Manitoba First Nations Education Resource Centre Inc. (MFNERC)
Master of Ceremonies: Bentley Cheechoo
- OCAP® Workshop from First Nation Information Centre (FNIGC)
The First Nations principles of Ownership, Control, Access, and Possession – more commonly known as OCAP® – assert that First Nations have control over data collection processes, and that they own and control how this information can be used.
- Understanding UNDRIP Workshop
Capacity and knowledge building on the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples and the federal United Nations Declaration of Indigenous People Act.
Who should attend?
- Chief and Council Members
- Education Leaders (LEA, or education committee members)
- Education Director/Staff
- NAN Advisory Council Members
- NAN Education Committee Members
Note: NAN will cover the travel and hospitality costs for two people per community/organization. A streaming option will also be available. Registration Deadline Friday Feb 10th 2023.
For more information, please contact Claudia Stein at email@example.com